March 11, 2009

The long awaited post . . . .

Honestly I don't even know where to start.  I think I will just keep it as brief as I can for now so that it won't be hanging over my head to get this post done.  Okay . . . . .  (deep breath) As most of you know Aaron is a contractor.  He has had his business for 15 years and has mainly done sub-contracting for exteriors.  Stucco, stone, etc.  If you have seen his work you know he is very good at what he does.  He has always wanted to build homes.  He is very good at seeing something in his head and putting those ideas to work for an outcome of a beautiful home.  Some of you saw the home we lived in and can testify to that.  He had someone approach him in the summer of 2007 and asked him if he would be interested in buying some lots and building homes since the market is (was) "hot".  He asked me and being the supportive wife that I am I said that he could do what he wished to do and that I would stand behind him.  Okay that was a lie, but it was hard for me to put the reins on him knowing that he has always wanted to build homes.  I didn't want to hold him back from pursuing what he had a passion for.  Next thing you know we have 2 lots in Herriman.  Keeping in mind that the market was great at the time.  If my dang crystal ball wasn't broken . . . . .well anyway.  He has spent the last year and a half building these beautiful homes.  (I will be sure and take some pictures and post them so you can see the finished homes)  Life is going along and the first house is nearing completion and the market is starting to slow down and we start to get a little nervous.  So meanwhile the 2nd home is underway and we start talking about different possibilities that could happen.  We had talked about worst case but didn't think that really was ever going to happen.  So we decide to put the house we were living in on the market and see what would sell and have faith that the Lord would direct us to where we should be.  Keep in mind that we DID NOT want to move from our current home, the area and the ward.  We loved where we were.  We had 1 offer on our home, but their financing fell thru and after 7 months we decided that we would take it off the market.  Meanwhile the first home is finished and the 2nd is about half way done.  So after praying about what to do - and let me tell you how hard it is to pray about this knowing full well what I WANT to do and knowing that what I want is probably not going to happen. But the time came and we decided to rent out the first home.  Then a little while later after fasting and praying again we decided that we would move to the 2nd home in Herriman and rent our home out.  I was a little nervous because it is a good sized home (4100 sq. ft.) and I worried if people would be willing to rent it for what we needed them to.  We put it up for rent and within a week or 2 we found some people that would be a good fit (at least we hope they will be).  They moved in the last week of February and the 2nd home was about a month from being finished so we are living in the basement of Aaron's parents until we can move out there.  It makes me so sad to drive by that house.  It was way harder than I thought to see other people living in that house.  It just must be the emotional attachment I have or something because I didn't have any problem with seeing renters in the 1st house or the duplexes.  It will probably take me awhile to get over that but I still get a pit in my stomach just typing it.  I know I am crazy.  

I know that it all seems so simple but let me tell you that it has been ANYTHING but that.  I didn't go into any "personal" details but it has not been an easy 18 months for us.  The home we are going to be living in is 2 times the size(and payment) we need but beans and rice are good for you, right?!  I sure hope so.  I will not lie to you, the home is GORGEOUS.  Aaron did a superior job.  He has such a skill for it.  Next time I go to the house I will take pictures and post them.  

That is my update in a large nutshell.  Trust me - if I would have gone into all the details it would have been a 14 page post.  My journal would prove that!

7 comments:

Kristi said...

Oh, Aub - I'm so sorry. I wondered if this economy had run a toll on Aaron's work. That stinks. I hope and pray that things will turn around and you will be able to go back to your old home. It is beautiful. I can testify first hand that the Lord definitely throws curve balls when you are least expecting them, but after time I'm sure you will see reasoning for it. That is how Ohio has been. Good luck!

Kari said...

So sorry! I know how much you loved that home, it is gorgeous! You are lucky to be able to find renters for both homes, especially in this economy. I bet Aaron did an amazing job, I can't wait to see pics. Keep your chin up, there's always a silver lining somewhere. :) And ps - you might end up loving Herriman/Riverton area. Gareth and I still keep in touch with friends from our ward, they are the best!

Kaelene said...

I am so impressed that you keep a journal AND do a blog! I cheat and only do the blog!
I know that these times can be scary, but I also know that Heavenly Father will take care of us! Maybe not in the way WE WANT, but in his own special way!
Change is good . . . just keep telling yourself that!!

Nanette said...

I'm sorry that things have been tough for you guys. The economy is so unpredictable and scary. I hope everything works out. :)

Melanie said...

Aubrey, I had no idea you guys were going through so much. Thanks for sharing. I'm reminded of Janice Kapp Perry's song "The Test": After the trial, we will be blessed, but this life is the test." Hang in there! I'm looking forward to pictures.

{Brooke} said...

I just checked your blog and realized you had updated. I have to say that I am so sorry for you and Aaron. The whole thing just sucks. I started to cry when I read your post because I can't even imagine driving by the house. It about did me in when I saw the renters at church. Anyway, I have prayed for you guys a lot, and I hope that it isn't because of me that any of this had to happen. I will never be able to tell you how much it has meant to me to be able to live there with you four. At a time when I needed something so desperately, you saved me. I have come a long way from where I was, since moving in. The joy that was brought into my life from your two little angels absolutely amazes me. Braden and Austin are truly angels in my life. Heavenly Father blessed my life by allowing me to be your sister and friend. I miss seeing you guys every morning. What a lifesaver, literally, you have been for me. You'll never know how much it has meant. Love you Aub

Loriannie said...

Aubrey,
Thank You so much for sharing, and you too Brooke. WE will pray for you and I know you will be blessed.I am sad I didn't get to see your home before you moved out. I am sure you will be able to make the new house your home. How cool to be able to live in a house aaron built. Post pics soon!