July 18, 2010

Toilet Cleaning!

I have had so much on my mind lately, but more personal thoughts that have been written in my journal. But I was so thrilled yesterday when I started the Saturday morning routine of cleaning the entire house and Braden came to me and asked if he could clean the toilets! He will sometimes watch me clean them and last time I remember him asking how I learned to clean a toilet. I told him that my mom taught me and then he asked if I would teach him so that he could do it himself. I am a BIG beliver that kids should be taught to help around the house. I remember growing up that the boys were expected to help clean just as much as the girls. I was never happy at the time that my mom made us clean certain ways to have it done to her expectations, but I really appreciate it now. I look at both of my brothers now and they are both hard workers and clean their homes with their wives and are not afraid to scrub them toilets!! I got my mothers genes and I like things cleaned a certain way, especially my toilets. I know most people use a toilet brush, but those nasty things don't exist in my house. I don't think my kids even know what they are. So (after all of that blabber), I wanted Braden to learn to clean and help around the house but in my mind I was thinking that maybe toilets should be for when he is a few years older. I mean he is not even in Kindergarten yet. But, then I thought who cares if he doesn't do it to my expectations, he is learning to work beside me and that is what is important, right? So I walked him through all of the steps in order of how to clean them, put the rubber gloves on him (we had to but rubberbands on them to keep them from falling off) and I cleaned the sinks while he did the toilets. We did all 3 bathrooms together and his little comments were so cute during all of it. Austin saw him cleaning and wanted to help clean so he got out the windex and cleaned all of the mirrors! It just made my day! They were the cutest little helpers and Braden did do a pretty good job for his 1st time. I didn't even go back and do any touch up, it was great! And I couldn't believe how much time that saved me that day having them help me instead of being in the way. He asked me if he could clean the toilets every week so maybe this will become a habit for him. His wife will LOVE him!!!! He was proud of his cleaning and I think he loved wearing the gloves too. Who knew that boys could clean toilets even before they start Kindergarten??!!

4 comments:

{Brooke} said...

That is awesome!!! Braden is a hard worker I'm noticing lately. He follows the directions. Your boys are SOO good, Aub. You have taught them well. Also, their wives will be thanking you in like 20 years. Thanks for having me go with you guys the other day. I wouldn't have done it without you!!!

Crystal Critchfield said...

Hey Aub! That is a great story! I can just picture little Braden with those rubber gloves on cleaning the toilets. What a cute little guy! And, yes, his wife will LOVE him for this! Way to teach them while they are young!

Kari said...

So the question is, how do you clean your toilets, exactly, without a toilet scrubber thingy?

Such a cute story and I'm with you--kids need to learn how to clean and take care of things!

Lilet said...

That is great! Will he come clean mine too? :)